Children need healthy meals to learn. Cathedral High School offers healthy meals every school day. Your children may qualify for free or reduced price meals.
1. Who can get free or reduced price meals? All children in households receiving Food Stamps or TANF can get free meals regardless of your income. Also, if your household income is within the limits on the Federal Income Chart, your children can get free or reduced price meals.
2. Do I need to fill out an application for each child? No. Complete the application for free or reduced lunch (click here for Spanish version). Use one application for all students in your household. Send a copy of this application to Cathedral. We cannot approve an application that is not complete, so be sure to fill out all required information. Return the completed application to:
Cathedral High School
5225 E 56th St
Indianapolis, IN 46226
3. Can foster children get free meals? Yes, foster children that are under the legal responsibility of a foster care agency or court, are eligible for free meals. Any foster child in the household is eligible for free meals regardless of income.
5. Should I fill out an application if I received a letter this school year saying my children are approved for free meals? Please read the letter you got carefully and follow the instructions. Call the school at (317) 968-7334 if you have questions.
6. I get WIC. Can my children get free meals? Children in households participating in WIC may be eligible for free or reduced price meals. Please fill out an application.
7. Can migrant, homeless, or runaway children get free meals? Yes, children who meet the definition of homeless, runaway, or migrant qualify for free meals. If you haven’t been told your children will get free meals, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to see if they qualify.
8. May I apply if someone in my household is not a U. S. citizen? Yes. You or your children do not have to be a U.S. citizen to qualify for free or reduced price meals.
9. Who should I include as members of my household? You must include all people living in your household, related or not (such as grandparents, other relatives, or friends) who share income and expenses. You must include yourself and all children who live with you. If you live with other people who are economically independent (for example, people who do not support, who do not share income with you or your children, and who pay a pro-rate share of expenses), do not include.
10. Will the information I give be checked? Yes, we might ask you to provide written proof.
11. What if my income is not always the same? List the amount that you normally receive. For example, if you normally get $1,000 each month, but you missed some work last month and only got $900, put down that you get $1,000 per month. If you normally get overtime include it, but do not include it if you only work overtime sometimes. If you have lost a job or had your hours or wages reduced, use your current income.
12. We are in the military; do we include our housing allowance as income? If you get an off-base housing allowance, it must be included as income. However, if your housing is part of the Military Housing Privatization Initiative, do not include your housing allowance as income.
13. My spouse is deployed to a combat zone. Is her/his combat pay counted as income? No, if the combat pay is received in addition to her basic pay because of her deployment and it wasn’t received before she was deployed, combat pay is not counted as income. Contact your school for more information.
14. If I don’t qualify now, may I apply again later? Yes. You may apply at any time during the school year. For example, children with a parent or guardian who becomes unemployed may become eligible for free and reduced price meals if the household income drops below the income limit.
15. My family needs more help. Are there other programs available? To find out how to apply for food stamps or other assistance benefits, contact your local assistance office.
16. What if I disagree with the school’s decision about my application? You should talk to the school officials. You also may ask for a hearing by writing to email@example.com.
We cannot approve an application that is not complete, so be sure to fill out all required information.