Service Forms and Information
Service Requirements & Expectations
Completion of the Christian Service Program is a graduation requirement. Completion of all Service Requirements is needed to Walk at the Graduation Ceremony and receive a Graduation Diploma. The Cathedral Christian service requirement will be based on the Gospel imperative of Matthew 25 that requires service to the poor and vulnerable if we wish to enter the Kingdom of Heaven. Each student must complete service hours as specified below for each academic year.
Freshmen: 15hours; Sophomore: 20 hours; Junior: 25 hours; Senior: 25 hours
Completion of the Christian Service Requirement includes the following:
- The service project must directly benefit people in the community and reflect Christian values as described in Matthew 25:35-41. Specifically, the hours must:
- occur within a non-profit setting serving the poor and vulnerable
- minister directly to the poor and vulnerable as defined in the gospel of Matthew
- be supervised by an adult in the service agency
- Each Academic Year students are to select one Agency to complete a minimum of 50% of the required hours. Student & Parent should be contacting the agencies Volunteer Coordinator to work out a service opportunity. There needs to be a dialog between parents and the students to put a plan with the prospective agency in place.
- Some questions you need to inquire about are:
- Are there age restrictions?
- Does a parent need to stay while I volunteer?
- Is there training or vaccines that I need to complete to volunteer?
- What are your volunteer days and hours?
- How far from home is it and what will my transportation be?
- All of these questions need to be addressed to decide if that agency is a good fit for not only your student but you as a parent especially if you are your student's transportation!
- Student ONLY need to submit the Electronic Application if they are asking for the approval of an agency NOT on the Approved Agency List. Parents, please DO NOT complete this application your student Must complete using his/her Cathedral email so as not to interfere with the tracking process.
Applications / Time Sheets / Reflection
The applications are ONLY required for students requesting an Agency NOT ON the Approved Agencies list. These students are required to submit a New Agency Request Application If your agency is not on the pre-approved list Campus Ministry must approve the 2019-2020 Application for NEW Agency Service Application, prior to beginning to volunteer. Students working on service over the summer must submit the application for approval prior to service.
Students will be using the Mobileserve APP to track ALL their service hours this year. All service hours must be by Tuesday, April 14th, 2020. All hours will be recorded from the students account so there will be no physical timesheets to be turned in! Students Must be attentive to see the Agency Supervisor is verifying hours!
Theology teachers will provide a rubric for the oral reflection. These can also be found on the Christian Service webpage. Each student will give a brief talk to their Theology class.
Important Notes - Christian Service Program
- Service hours must be done outside of class time & entered on the MobileServe APP. Hours will be approved as noted in the MobileServe Info.
- IB students’ Christian Service Hours may count as part of their IB “Creative Action Service” requirement.
- Regarding Mission Trips: Qualifying trips during the summer or during the school year before the deadline may be counted for the current school year. Spring trips may be approved on an individual basis for the following year.
- Students, remember you are representing Cathedral High School as well as yourself. Any problems or incidents during your service need be reported to the site supervisor & to Cathedral’s Campus Ministry department.
- Seniors must complete all 4 years requirements by the deadline in order to Walk at the Graduation Ceremony & receive a Graduation Diploma.
- Though the school recognizes the importance of many activities that provide opportunities for volunteer work and for education in the faith, the following are ordinarily NOT approved:
- private arrangements with private individuals
- recreation programs & summer camps not specifically designed for handicapped or special needs groups.
31“When the Son of Man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, he will sit upon his glorious throne, 32 and all the nations will be assembled before him. And he will separate them one from another, as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats.… 34 Then the king will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father. Inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world.
35 For I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, a stranger and you welcomed me,36 naked and you clothed me, ill and you cared for me, in prison and you visited me.’37 Then the righteous will answer him and say, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you drink?... 40 And the king will say to them in reply, ‘Amen, I say to you, whatever you did for one of these least brothers of mine, you did for me.’
If you have any questions or concerns please contact Shannon Fox, Administrator for Christian Service, at email@example.com. Please DO NOT wait until the last minute if you have any questions or are having a problem. If you are having issues it is much easier to take care of early than at the last minute. Thank you for your support!