Service Hour & Mobileserve Information
Service Requirements & Expectations
Completion of the Christian Service Program is a graduation requirement. Completion of all Service Requirements is needed to Walk at the Graduation Ceremony and receive a Graduation Diploma. The Cathedral Christian service requirement will be based on the Gospel imperative of Matthew 25 that requires service to the poor and vulnerable if we wish to enter the Kingdom of Heaven. Each student must complete service hours as specified below for each academic year.
Freshmen: 15hours; Sophomore: 20 hours; Junior: 25 hours; Senior: 25 hours
Completion of the Christian Service Requirement includes the following:
- Typically service must directly benefit people in the community and reflect Christian values as described in Matthew 25:35-41. Specifically, the hours must:
- occur within a non-profit setting serving the poor and vulnerable
- minister directly to the poor and vulnerable as defined in the gospel of Matthew
- be supervised by an adult in the service agency ***HOWEVER due to COVID still in play we know that Service is going to look a little different for the 2020-2021 school year! CHANGES for the 20-21 School Year:
- Students may volunteer at multiple agencies
- Cathedral will be posting multiple service opportunities at least one day a week there will be a SignUp Genius that students can sign up for these opportunities often some will be during the school day resource periods!
- Many of the Food Pantries are still in need of students. Only volunteers in the building. Groceries are on a drive up basis.select one Agency to complete a minimum of 50% of the required hours. Student & Parent should be contacting the agencies Volunteer Coordinator to work out a service opportunity. There needs to be a dialog between parents and the students to put a plan with the prospective agency in place.
- We are trying to keep the approved Agencies Lists current for Volunteers welcome or not at this time. If your student is going to an agency Some questions you need to inquire about are:
- Are there age restrictions?
- Does a parent need to stay while I volunteer?
- Is there training or vaccines that I need to complete to volunteer?
- What are your volunteer days and hours?
- How far from home is it and what will my transportation be?
- What precautions does the agency have in place?
- All of these questions need to be addressed to decide if that agency is a good fit for not only your student but you as a parent especially if you are your student's transportation!
Time Sheets / Reflection
Students will be using the Mobileserve APP to track ALL their service hours this year. All service hours must be by May, 1st, 2021. All hours will be recorded from the students account so there will be no physical timesheets to be turned in! Students Must be attentive to see the Agency Supervisor is verifying hours!
Theology teachers will provide a rubric for the oral reflection. These can also be found on the Christian Service webpage. Each student will give a brief talk to their Theology class.
Important Notes - Christian Service Program
- Service hours must be done outside of class time & entered on the MobileServe APP. Hours will be approved as noted in the MobileServe Info.
- IB students’ Christian Service Hours may count as part of their IB “Creative Action Service” requirement.
- Students, remember you are representing Cathedral High School as well as yourself. Any problems or incidents during your service need be reported to the site supervisor & to Cathedral’s Campus Ministry department.
- Seniors must complete all 4 years requirements by the deadline in order to Walk at the Graduation Ceremony & receive a Graduation Diploma.
31“When the Son of Man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, he will sit upon his glorious throne, 32 and all the nations will be assembled before him. And he will separate them one from another, as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats.… 34 Then the king will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father. Inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world.
35 For I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, a stranger and you welcomed me,36 naked and you clothed me, ill and you cared for me, in prison and you visited me.’37 Then the righteous will answer him and say, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you drink?... 40 And the king will say to them in reply, ‘Amen, I say to you, whatever you did for one of these least brothers of mine, you did for me.’
If you have any questions or concerns please contact Shannon Fox, Administrator for Christian Service, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please DO NOT wait until the last minute if you have any questions or are having a problem. If you are having issues it is much easier to take care of early than at the last minute. Thank you for your support!