Day of Service
Cathedral celebrates our 100th Birthday with a Day of Service!
How Blessed to that our 100th year actually fell on our All School Day of Service?!All of our 1100+ students, faculty, and staff will be volunteering at 52 locations on September 13, 2018. We will beginning our day at 7:50 am that Thursday morning, students and teachers from Cathedral High School will fan out across Indianapolis and surrounding counties to help in a wide variety of central Indiana not-for-profits. We will pitch in on everything from serving in the most of our Catholic Charities programs to helping at Urban Farms throughout the city and everything in between! “The Day of Service is a meaningful way for students and staff to celebrate Cathedral High School's 100th birthday and give back to the community.
This is the sixth year that Cathedral High School has participated in a school-wide birthday celebration through service to the community. The school, founded in 1918, has a long tradition of philanthropy. “Our annual Day of Service helps our students learn about the importance of giving back,” Principal Dave Worland says. “This has been an integral part of Cathedral’s identity and part of our Holy Cross tradition. This is one of the unique ways we achieve our mission of transforming a diverse group of students’ and helping them understand how they can contribute to a better community here in Indianapolis.”
Need to Know
- Your students were emailed the permission form(s) needed for the agency their town will be volunteering at on the Service Day. These forms are to be signed by parents and returned to school on Thursday, but NO Later than Monday, Sept. 10th.
- All permission forms are now being collected at the start of Theology classes or can be turned into Mrs Fox's office. ALL students leaving campus MUST return the CHS Permission Form. The form is also available to print below. Any student without a signed permission form will need to remain on campus to work with our grounds crew. They will be required to bring their lunch as the cafeteria will be closed.
- EXTRA Waiver Forms Depending on your students' site of service that day they may be required to complete an additional form required by that agency. Agencies and town assignments are below. Click on the link on the name of the agency to print their waiver.
- DRESS CODE: All students are to come to school in long jeans (no holes), their County tee shirt, and closed toed lace-up shoes (tennis shoes). Some students could be working on painting or landscaping clean up projects so wear older jeans and tennis shoes. Tennis shoes are a MUST at all Food Banks & Pantries!!
- LUNCHES Students Faculty and Staff will need to bring a sack lunch and drink with them.
- Parents your student if they are needing any specific needs required for the day. Some agencies are asking volunteers to bring garden gloves, scissors, paint brushes, hammers. Your students' town leaders will let them know what is necessary.
- SCHOOL WILL BEGIN at 7:50 am that Day, as several towns will be loading buses at 8am sharp!
THANK YOU CATHEDRAL!
From CATHOLIC CHARITIES CHRISTMAS STORE THANK YOU!
We would like to express our gratitude to the 10 students from Cathedral and their teacher who came to help us at Catholic Charities’ Christmas Store during their Day of Community Service on September 13th.
Led by their teacher, Shana Field, the students who helped us were Holley Nguyen, Connor Giamoli, Erica Scott, Mireya Munoz, Carolina Rios, Liona Russell, Shiloh Means, Mia Dittoe, Maddie Alerding, and Kyle Klase. Shana Field worked right along with her students; was a delight to all of us; and seemed to have a great rapport with the students. The students were very helpful, accomplishing a great deal of work for us. They managed to process and bin 400 winter hats for Teen Boys, 791 pairs of socks for Teens, and 700 of the Nativity Magnet Sets for our client families.
We have appointments for over 830 needy families including over 3000 children, aged infant through 19, to be served at the Christmas Store this coming December. Each child will receive new winter clothing, a new winter hat and gloves, 2 pairs of new underwear, 2 pairs of new socks, and 2 new toys/teen gifts. Our volunteers work at least weekly all year long to acquire and prep these items.
We certainly appreciated the help of this group during their Day of Community Service and wanted to thank them again for all their help!
Nancy Hollinden for the Volunteers of the Christmas Store
County - Town / Agency Information
*Agencies needing additional Release/Waiver are notes below. Clicking on the agency name will take you to the form needed. Please sign and return to school.
The Cathedral student body plus faculty and staff will volunteer at 51 different locations around central Indiana on September 13th, including:
Agape Therapeutic Riding CAMP County Kerry * Extra Form
American Cancer Society - BALLIEBOROUGH County Cavan
American Village Senior Living - GWEEDORE County Donegal
Anna's House / Lord's Pantry - CURRAGH County Kildare
Big City Farms - RAHKEALE County Limerick
Boulevard Place Food Pantry - RAHKEALE County Limerick
Brandywine Creek Farms - SKERRIES County Dublin; DOLLA County Tipperary; KNOCKGRAFON County Tipperary
Brookdale Living @ Castleton - LIMERICK County Limerick
Caring Place - 1/2 KINGSCOURT County Cavan
Cathedral Soup Kitchen - 1/2 LYONS HILL County Kildare
Christamore House - MOONE County Kildare
CHS Cape & Blanket Project - LYNCH County Galway
CHS 100 year Golf Outing Prep - CARROWBROWNE County Galway
CHS Rosary Project - BOOTERSTOWN Country Dublin
CHS Schroeder's Trail Blazers - BALLYMORE County Wexford
CHS Cathedral Sock Hop Prep - OOLA County Limerick
CHS Holy Angels Field Day - RAPHOE County Donegal; DUBLIN County Dublin; DUBLIN County Dublin; BALLYLANDERS County Limerick
Clearwater Lakes Asst Living - 1/2 KILLURIN County Wexford (7) w/Nohl
Conner Prairie - PUNCHESTOWN County Kildare * Extra Form
CSS Christmas Store - 1/2 GOREY Country Wexford (10) w/ Field
Dayspring Center - STEPASIDE County Dublin
Down Syndrome Indiana - FONT County Galway
Enlace Academy - DONEGAL County Donegal; BUNCRANA County Donegal; BUNCRANA County Donegal
Fay Glick Community Center - KNOCKADERRY County Limerick
Gleaners Food Bank - BLACKLION County Cavan; BALLYHAISE County Cavan; D'ARCY County Galway; KIRWIN County Galway; BROSNA County Kerry; WATERFORD County Kerry BLACKWATER County Wexford*Extra Form
Growing Places Indy - WATERFORD County Kerry
Hearth at Windermere Assisted Living - GREENCASTLE County Donegal
Holliday Park - MONKSTOWN County Dublin *Waiver signed on site
Hollis Adams/Hope Convent Church - ARLOW County Wicklow
Holy Cross School - HOLLYFORT County Wexford
Holy Family Shelter - 1/2 GORY County Wexford (9) w/ Egan
Indiana State Museum - KELLYBAGS County Donegal *Extra Form
Irish Festival Set Up - KILMALLOCK County Limerick
Indy Urban Acres - Castlemaine / Kerry
Kesslerwood Place - Freshman & Sophomores from KILDERRY County Kerry
Marquette Manor - CAHIR County Tipperary
Mid North Food Pantry - 1/2 KILLURIN County Wexford (8) w/ Barlow
Midwest Food Bank - Juniors & Seniors w/ Pivonka 7 Knaus from KILDERRY County Kerry & DINGLE County Kerry *Extra Form
Neighborhood Link - NURNEY County Kildare *Extra Form
Phalen Academy - NAAS County Kildare
St. Augustine's Little Sister's of the Poor - BUTLERBRIDGE County Cavan
St Lawrence Fall Festival Prep & School - COOLAFANCY & COOLBOY County Wicklow
St. Joan of Arc Garden Crew - 1/2 LYONS HILL County Kildare (10) W/ Noe
St. Joan of Arc School / Parish - CASHEL County Tipperary
St. Vincent de Paul Distribution Center - SHILLELAGH County Wicklow
St. Vincent de Paul Food Pantry - KILCOOLE County Wicklow
South Circle Farms - DUNDRUM County Tipperary
Temple Urban Farm - INCH County Wexford
Traditions at Solana Senior Living - HORSE & JOCKEY County Tipperary
Westminster Village North - CASTLEMAINE County Kerry