2020 - 2021 Christian Service Requirements
Cathedral’s Mission for Volunteerism is based on Matthew 25:31-40
31“When the Son of Man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, he will sit upon his glorious throne, 32 and all the nations will be assembled before him. And he will separate them one from another, as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats.… 34 Then the king will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father. Inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world. 35 For I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, a stranger and you welcomed me, 36 naked and you clothed me, ill and you cared for me, in prison and you visited me.’ 37 Then the righteous will answer him and say, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you drink?... 40 And the king will say to them in reply, ‘Amen, I say to you, whatever you did for one of these least brothers of mine, you did for me.’
Welcome students and families to the 2020-2021 school year! We all will work hard to help you and your student to maneuver through this unusual year dealing with COVID. Completion of the Christian Service Program is a graduation requirement. Christian service allows students to witness and participate in the building of Christ's kingdom. It empowers students to be faithful to our Holy Cross tradition that calls us to develop "the competence to see and the courage to act." While the Holy Cross brothers ask for our service to directly serve the poor and the vulnerable at one agency, this year we will need to make some exceptions in the way we volunteer. Educating and connecting our students and families with the community around us will be our focus. Students may choose more than ONE Approved Agency this year to complete their total hours required for the academic year. There are so many Agencies that are in great need of help. Keep in mind that the needs and way we volunteer may look different this year. The Agency list can be found on the Cathedral website under Christian Service. Each student must complete service hours as specified below for the academic year.
Freshmen: 15 hours; Sophomore: 20 hours; Junior: 25 hours; Senior: 25 hours.
** NOTE during this Academic Year Due to COVID-19 students will need to be proactive to make sure they complete the required hours before May 1, 2021. All Mission Trips have been canceled this year.
IMPORTANT SERVICE ADJUSTMENTS FOR 2020-2021:
- Students may volunteer at more than one agency listed on the Approved Agencies List.
- Campus Ministry will post Service Opportunities each week as the Agency requests come in. Students can answer any of these CallOuts.
- Any Cathedral Call Out such as CHS Raffle sales, Virtual Open House, ShamrAuction, Phone-a-Thon, Alumni Events, all Opportunities will be posted in Student Announcements and posted in the Parent Newsletter as well.
- Fall Mission has been canceled, at this point there is no plans for the Spring Mission unless the COVID is under control. 2021 Mission and Immersion Trips will be re-evaluated as the year advances.
- Service Events organized by Teams or Clubs, at any of our Approved Agencies, or approved by special requests.
- Students may participate in their home parish or place of worship in the following activities, Vacation Bible School, Sunday School, Confirmation Leaders, after school Mentors, Servers, lectures, and hospitality ministers. These hours must be approved by a parish staff member supervising these opportunities.
- Students are encouraged to help relatives & neighbors that have children that are needing extra help or tutoring while completing school assignments and classes with online learning. That child’s parent will be your supervisor.
Mobileserve Class Codes:
Freshman Class Code : 0682DB
Sophomore Class Code : 8FCFB6
Junior Class Code: 41F19E
Senior Class Code: F6CCF6
- Students are to record all hours using the MobileServe APP. ALL areas on the Entry must be completed for us to see the entry. Once the entry is submitted the APP does the work of sending the email to the Agency Supervisor to verify hours.
- Common Errors preventing us to see the Sevice Entries are: No Supervisor's name or Email entered; No student Class code in the students profile.
- Helpful Info in Entries: Agency Supervisors can easily look up the students hours if the have entered the correct date of service; attached the Location and Photo of Volunteering.
4.All Service hours are to be completed before May 1, 2021, for all class levels
- Completion of Christian Service Requirements will be reflected on the student’s 4th quarter report card as well as College Transcripts.
- Seniors with INCOMPLETE service hours are invited to all Graduation Ceremonies, however Graduation Diplomas will not be issued until all service hour requirements are met.
- Agencies not on the Approved list must be approved prior to volunteering.
- All Hours are to be recorded on the Mobileserve APP. Students NEED to enter their correct Class Code before logging hours.
- 2020-2021 hours must be completed beginning June 1, 2020 and completed by May 1, 2021. All service hours must be done outside class time.
- Students, remember you are representing Cathedral High School as well as yourself. Any problems or incidents during your service need be reported to the site supervisor & to Cathedral’s Campus Ministry for your protection.
- Seniors must complete all 4 years’ requirements by the deadline in order to receive their graduation diploma.
- Lastly, please get into the habit of reading emails so you do not miss important opportunities to volunteer!