The impact of these unprecedented times reaches nearly every aspect of our society. Certainly, within our Cathedral community, we have families whose jobs are in jeopardy or are already lost. Childcare, mental and physical health, and other worries dominate our minds. And to top it all off, we are not even able to gather and worship at our churches! We want all of our families to know that we are acutely aware of the widespread difficulties facing nearly all of us.
If a Cathedral family has experienced a financial setback related to COVID-19 and wishes for us to consider this situation for possible review of aid for 2019-2020 and/or for 2020-2021, please reach out to us. Given that so many unknowns still exist, we must take a bit of a "wait and see" approach to how we handle aid for next year.
If your family has not applied for tuition assistance, the first step for you is to apply for aid. While the deadline for applying for assistance was December 15, you still can apply if your circumstances have changed. Click here to visit our page that outlines how to apply for aid. Please note that you will be asked to provide 2018 income information, but you also will be asked to indicate whether or not your circumstances have changed.
Once you have applied for tuition assistance, or if you already have applied for aid, we ask that families who wish to notify us of a request for reconsideration send us a letter (via email to firstname.lastname@example.org) that includes the following:
- Stated reasons for the changed circumstances (e.g. loss of employment, reduced hours, etc.)
- Documentation regarding the changed employment status (e.g. furlough notification from an employer, statement of reduction of hours from an employer, current pay stubs and old pay stubs for us to compare, etc.)
- Documentation of any unemployment benefits, as most folks impacted by unemployment are eligible to receive unemployment plus stimulus funds, which in some cases approaches $900+ per week
- The specific amount of aid requested for 2019-2020, if applicable
- The specific amount of aid requested for 2020-2021, if applicable
We are collecting such information from families but are not deciding on awards for next year yet, as a lot could change. We will make decisions in the future (probably in July) because that allows us to know more, such as the following:
- How many families are in need of such reconsideration
- How much collective additional aid might be needed
- Our budgetary reality compared to the amount needed
- The economic outlook, which many experts say will be more clear within the next 45-60 days
Again, please feel free to contact us at email@example.com regarding tuition assistance. If you need to discuss payments for 2019-2020, please feel free to email Jean Harris in the Business Office at firstname.lastname@example.org.