During your freshman and sophomore years most of your communication with the counseling office will go through your School Counselor. Your School Counselor will be able to help you with all of your schedule and class questions as you begin your journey at Cathedral High School. Beginning in your Junior year, your School Counselor will begin the process of handing you over to your College Counselor who will guide you through your Junior and Senior years and help you achieve your education goals beyond high school.
|Greg Bamrick||Gretchen Watko||Mary Hemer|
|Last Names A-G||Last Names H-N||Last Names O-Z|
Below is a check list to help incoming 8th graders transition to Freshman as well as Freshman transitioning into Sophomores:
Grade 9 - Checklist
- Start the school year off right by getting organized and practicing good study habits.
- Meet new people by signing up for extracurricular activities.
- Do your homework. Grades count now more than ever before. They are part of your official high school transcript & credits.
- Meet with your Peer Mentor.
- Work with your counselor on your 4-year Plan.
- Set up appointments with your teachers for extra help or tutoring.
- Explore careers on Naviance
- Meet with your counselor to plan your Sophomore Year.
- Sign up for rigorous coursework.
- Explore summer programs or camps to attend Indiana colleges and universities.
- Find job shadowing opportunities in the community.
- Explore the internet for academic, career, and college resources.
- Look for volunteer or service opportunities in the community.
- Make sure you're on track for the Academic Honors or Core 40 track.
Grade 10 - Checklist
- Start the school year off by polishing study skills. Remind yourself that colleges and future employers will look at your high school transcript.
- Prepare for the PSAT to get a feel for what the SAT might be like.
- Get involved in extracurricular activities.
- Work with your counselor on your 4-year plan.
- Sign up for rigorous courses, and set up appointments with your teachers for extra help or tutoring.
- Meet with your counselor to plan your Junior Year.
- Sign up for rigorous courses.
- Continue researching career and college options on Naviance.
- Plan college visits to campuses you might consider attending.
- Visit with your counselor to discuss post-secondary options.
- Begin exploring financial aid and scholarship options on the Learn More Web site. learnmoreindiana's website
- Plan a productive summer. Perhaps this is a good time to have a part time job. Pick up a work permit.