High School Placement Test
Each applicant for freshman admission must take the STS High School Placement Test as part of the application process. For your convenience, we offer this placement test on three different Saturday mornings during the fall.
High School Placement Test Dates (Class of 2021)
Regularly scheduled placement test dates have passed. Please contact the Enrollment Management Office at 317-968-7370 or email@example.com if you are interested in applying for admission but have not taken the placement test.
Things you might want to know about taking the High School Placement Test at Cathedral include:
- This is not an “admissions” test at Cathedral. We use the test for placement purposes. It is only one of many factors we consider when making admissions decisions.
- There is no minimum score required for acceptance at Cathedral.
- The placement test helps greatly in the initial determination of a student’s placement into one or more of our academic levels of instruction. We want to help each student achieve academic excellence commensurate with his or her innate ability, and the placement test helps us do so.
- The placement test lasts approximately three hours (including breaks) and includes sections designed to assess verbal, language and reading comprehension skills as well as quantitative ability and math skills. There also is a composite score that provides an overall indicator of performance.
- A student whose composite score is at the 98th or 99th national percentile earns a Presidential Scholarship, a merit scholarship of $3,000 per year that is renewable for all four years.
- A student whose composite score is at the 96th or 97th national percentile earns a Cathedral Scholarship, a merit scholarship of $1,500 per year that is renewable for all four years.
- We will share a student’s scores with other high schools if the family requests that we do so. Likewise, we accept official score reports from other schools, both for the purpose of admissions and for merit scholarships.
- We do not charge a fee for taking the placement test at Cathedral or for sending scores to other schools.
Coffee with Cathedral
While students are taking the placement test on each Saturday date, we offer a gathering for parents/guardians called "Coffee with Cathedral" that is designed to share valuable information about academics, counseling, and more. This gathering begins at 8:30 a.m. in the Student Commons, located in the lower level of the A.K. Shiel Student Life Center. Enrollment Management staff will direct parents to this location on the morning of the placement test.